7.12.2010

We're ENGAGED!


My future husband (wow...) He never ceases to amaze me. I went to visit him in San Antonio, just the two of us for the first time in months. I was SO excited! On Saturday morning, he told me he had a reservation at a Japanese restaurant for breakfast...umm, has anyone ever had Japanese for breakfast? I haven't...but I trusted his judgement. He also wanted to see the sunrise, so we were driving by 6:30 a.m. to get there for the "reservation." After driving around like we were "lost" we pulled up and parked and walked up to an old historic Asian looking building and the windows were boarded up and there was obviously construction going on. But he insisted that we check it out. We started walking and there was a guy sitting on the curb with an acoustic guitar playing MMMBOP by Hanson. (Adam and I had our first date on my birthday in 2008 and we went to a Hanson concert...it was such a fun, hilarious first date...unforgettable) I must be dense because I was like...what the heck is going on? Do you know that guy? Adam played it off nicely as if it were the most normal thing. I was sort of onto him. He grabs my hand and leads me to a trail that opens into a gorgeous Japanese garden as the tune of mmmbop continues to play behind us. Koi fish, flowers, lush trees and palms, a lake, a waterfall, a beautiful bridge and gazebo/temple...a hidden gem in Texas.as we are walking along the trail, up ahead was a photograph sitting there on the pathway. It was a blown up picture of Adam and I after we had been dating a few months. I began to collect these photos along the winding trail that were all in sequential order of memories that we'd had together...camping trips, canoeing on the Hooch, Hiking, about 6 pictures total were strategically places leading to a beautiful gazebo that overlooked all of the gardens.
(The guys were watching us walk up...waiting and prepared (from the script that they rehearsed with Adam.)
It was such a great place...So we get to the Gazebo and Edwards (one of the airmen that I met at his basic graduation) is standing at the entrance. He bows and welcomes us to "FujiJinJu Restaurant" or some crazy made up Japanese name. Adam without a flinch says Yes, we have a reservation, Fillman party of 2. Edwards turns around, walks a few steps away, stands there with his back to us and comes back and leads us to the only table in the gazebo, set up overlooking the gardens. There was a beautiful set up with floating candles, napkins that were folded like origami cranes (I later saw pictures of Adam ironing them the night before into perfect cranes) Another Air Force buddy comes out and introduces himself as the server. he brings out glasses of orange juice, cups of coffee and hilarious menus that were only Japanese symbols and everything was 4500 yen. (I later learned that Adam made the menus and tied the pages together with shoe strings from his black dress shoes) Of course, the entire time I have a permanent smile plastered to my face as this entire schemes plays out...There were also two other guys hiding behind the stone pillars right beside us who were sneakily taking our pictures the entire time...I could not believe what was happening. Adam ordered two of whatever was on page 4...and they brought out two chicken biscuits. I was so beside myself that I could barely even eat.. After Adam inhaled his food, he started to tell me that it was all a set up. He wanted to tell me how much I mean to him, show me that all of the memories we've made have been the best part of his life, and that he hopes we will make memories for the rest of our lives...he gets up, walks over, kneels and pulls out a ring. The rest is history.
I start bawling of course...and after a big YES and so many kisses and hugs and staring in disbelief at the massive bling on my finger, he tells all the guys to come on out.

Here they are--the cast! Smith, Ward, Halcomb, and Edwards who made it all possible. I expressed my thanks through tears of joy... (Adam rented a car for them for the day as payment...they were headed to six flags)...and Adam and I had the best Engagement day ever. He continued to ask me throughout the day if I would be his wife, if I would marry him, if I would spend the rest of my life with him...in which my obvious replies were YES, OF COURSE, FOREVER!!!!!!


check out this ring! 100% recycled white gold, and a diamond that will blind you from Canada.


No really.. the diamond came from Canada. Adam made sure it wasn't a blood diamond from Africa. If you didn't think he could get any better...


I still can't believe it...I am going to marry the man of my dreams. I am so blessed, so happy and looking forward to an awesome wedding!

10 comments:

  1. this may be my favorite story ever. you made me cry at work!

    couldn't have happened to a more deserving 2 people. your love is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a big fat AWWWW. Love it! Congrats, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle Landry TheriotJuly 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM

    That is soooo sweet!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah! I think this might be my 30th comment about your engagement, but I cannot get enough of it! I'm so crazy excited for the two of you!!! Adam is an unbelievable human beings, probably one of my favorites, and I could not have imagined a most perfect match for him. You two truly are made for each other, and Mario and I are overjoyed by your engagement!!! You deserve all the amazing things coming your way!! Yay, love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! I love it. We can't wait to see you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant take it!!! He is so awesome. You two are going to be so happy together .. FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!!! AHHHH!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the perfect couple...you will have a wonderful life together. Love to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know happy when I see it. BRAVO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Auntie Sandy and Auntie "M" wish you two the very best life has to offer! We are so excited and believe him to be an extraordinary choice! Blessings and love to you both. Aunt Sandy & Auntie "M"

    ReplyDelete